Words Can't Express...
"For all that has been, thanks. For all that will be, yes."
-- Dag Hammarskjöld
Right between a miniature map of Sweden and a caricature I drew on a brown paper bag of a flabby-breasted, cat-eyed granny wearing a tube top, I have this quote taped to my bedroom door here in Studentgatan 32. I am inspired and renewed each time I read it. Hammarskjöld was a Swedish statesmen and diplomat, as well as a Christian mystic, of sorts. I am fascinated by his life as well as his religious philosophies. Interested? One word, my friends: Wikipedia.
Since coming to Sweden, I have not been writing blog-posts nearly as much as I thought I would be. Honestly, I have probably sat and stared at an empty screen with the text cursor blinking at me for at least the first 20 minutes each time I've written a new entry. Were I, say, helping build fresh wells in Ecuador with the Peace Corps or teaching English to Cambodians, I would have an orientation - a focus. Here, I am just a student - granted, a foreign exchange student, but trying to tell a different story when the title remains the same is harder than you might think. On the surface, my life as a student, in many respects, looks the same: I still wash my face every morning, eat pizza and Ramen noodles more than a doctor would advise, organize myself like crazy, underestimate, over-exaggerate, and still manage to spend ample time hanging out with friends. Perhaps at times I take for granted what a privilege it is to be in Sweden, but on the other hand, it is hard to express the 'excitement' of my day-to-day living here. It would be easy to tell you how different Sweden is from America, or to start every entry with "Today I...". But I can't leave you with that - there is so much more. But what, exactly? I feel like I know less than I ever did, and yet I'm learning so much each day. Do I sound like a walking contradiction yet? Or do I just need therapy? Anyone? Bueller?... Bueller?...
Ok, away with this heady discussion. Let's just look at some of the 'headliners' of my week, shall we?
1. I ordered a new camera, once again: The Nikon D40 almighty. It's back. It's black. It's ready to attack.
2. My voice teacher "stood me up" this week for our lesson. No ring-y. No write-y. Just my name, erased off the schedule. In my personal opinion, this broad's ordered a 'knuckle sandwich' with a large side of jellied whoop-ass. But, I digress. Love conquers all.
3. I finally rented a bike. It's great. I feel so free and alive when I'm riding, even just cutting across campus. This is a soon-to-be-developed habit that will probably follow me back home...
4. I sat in on an open rehearsal of the Örebro Symphony at the school of music this week and had the pleasure of hearing the fantastic mezzo-soprano Malena Ernman, the would-be love-child of Maria Callas and Amy Sedaris, were such a thing possible. I can say no more. Click the title of this entry and let 'er rip...
5. Saturday roadtrip: I toured the house/museum of Swedish artist Carl Larsson (1853-1919), and then "huffed it" up to the top of the ski jump at Darlarna to check out the killer view - a feast for the eyes.
6. Today, I spontaneously booked a December plane ticket to Rome, Italy simply because it was so cheap. I didn't worry about who will go with me, or where I will stay, or even what my classes may demand from me at the time. I did it because it was the right thing to do, and for a few brief moments, I felt like a true adult. It was thrilling.
And speaking of...
Thanks to my corridor-mate Jonathan, I now have a new 'gem' to add to my collection of cult cinema: The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra Cave. I cannot tell you how funny this movie is...
...literally.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home