14.12.08

L'Agrodolce Vita

Hey.  Went to Rome last week.  Visited the Trevi Fountain.  Unfortunately, Anita Ekberg wasn't there...



But, then again, considering what she looks like now, that was probably an immeasurable blessing...


My trip to 'Roma' was, in 5 words or less, 4 days of bliss.  I must admit, I was a bit nervous the night I was to leave for my trip.  The pre-travel "butterflies" hit a bit harder for some reason than when I went on my solo journey to Estonia and Latvia.  Here I was, venturing out on my own again, staying up all night on Thursday, December 4, to depart my room at 1:30 A.M. to walk an hour from campus to the bus station in the snow and ice.  "I must be crazy," I would think to myself between iPod tunes.  "Or, at least, that's probably what others think...but...maybe no one knows I'm crazy."  After this stream of thought, I came to the conclusion that I was very sleep-deprived and should just look at the stars and glowing Christmas lights rather than try to rationalize anything.

I was in Rome by 11:00 A.M.  After catching a bus from the airport to Termini, the city's main bus terminal/train station, I kicked around there in desperate search of food (which ended up being a baked focaccia with tomatoes and an arancino - a fried ball of rice, mozzarella, and pomodoro sauce - perfect) and a city map, which took me a ridiculously long time to find, considering that this was 'tourist central.'  That afternoon, I made my way to my Roman digs for the next 4 nights.  Once again, I had a very memorable Couchsurfing experience.  I stayed with 4 awesome, free-spirited Italians at 'Arco House', the endearing name for their home (and Couchsurfing profile) as the place is in a district known as Arco di Travertino.  Nina, Matteo, Marco, and Simone were very warm and open, and I really couldn't have asked for better company during my stay.  Their place was decorated in "my" style, with random artwork, paper lanterns, and collected kitschy memorabilia thrown on every wall and corner.  It was like coming home.  I fended for myself as I explored the city during the day, but at night I would return and almost immediately be offered food, coffee or wine to kick off the evening.  We went "out" together on two occasions, once to a city bridge in Trastevere known as 'Ponte Sisto' (I will never forget it; I felt so alive and young) and once to a square that was a very popular student hangout.  Everything was just so vibrant; it was like a 'pre-winter' music festival.

When it comes to seeing the sights in Rome, it's definitely true that "a lifetime is not enough," as the old adage goes.  But, for a top-to-bottom, 3-day-stroll around the city, I think I saw everything I wanted to and more, including THE POPE.  Yes.  I saw the pope himself, and no more than 12 feet away from me, either.  I was on my way out of St. Peter's Square, when all of a sudden these policemen's whistles started shrieking and everyone was motioned to get to the sides of the street immediately.  10 minutes later, THERE HE WAS, headed back to the Vatican in the "pope-mobile" (a.k.a. the "bullet-proof buggy of blessed assurance", "chastity chariot", etc.).  The reason for his parade through the streets?  Monday was the 'Festival of the Immaculate Conception,' which was, as I read, supposed to take place at the Spanish Steps, floral arrangements and ornaments adorning them from top to bottom.  However, when I got there that afternoon, all I found was a huge crowd sitting on and around them, so I'm not sure when the flower thing took place.  I asked a local what was happening at the moment, and she told me that the pope would be driving by in about an hour and a half.  I didn't want to kill that much daylight standing in once place, so I split, but I ended up getting a much better view just before dusk.

Since then, it's been another busy week of preparing my composition (which will be professionally recorded on Wednesday!), planning my last run of travels, and, quite unfortunately, saying "goodbye" to friends. Oh, time!  You mock me so!  Has it really been almost 5 months?

The ESN "Farewell Dinner" party was last night.  Everyone dressed up and ate their fill of the Swedish 'Julbord' ('Christmas table') in the upstairs banquet hall of Frimis, an 'upscale' club downtown.  The dinner featured way too much fish, in my opinion, but I blame no one but the early Vikings for that, and contrarily, the meatballs and cheeses were excellent.  The meal was accompanied with several semester "awards" for the international students, presented by the ESN board members.  I somehow won the 'congeniality' award or something, as I (along with my friend Julia, from Spain) always bring a 'sense of positive energy' and a 'smile to people's faces.'  I was quite honored, and said a few words of gratitude to the room after accepting my award, which reportedly left a few people teary-eyed.  A bit ironic, ain't it?

After the dinner, we all went downstairs and danced the night away.  It was a fantastic evening, but one which left me a bit emotionally exhausted, so I peeled out an hour or so before the club closed, much to the disgruntlement of those who stayed drinking/dancing/laughing/crying.  I truly dread having to say "goodbye" for good.

In other news, I'm sick of school.  My friends back home have already started their month-long Christmas vacation period, and my body is telling me it's time for mine, too.  Fortunately, there's less than a week to go before I hit up Paris, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Hamburg, and Amsterdam.  I'll be in Paris and Stockholm with my German friend Felix.  We've already booked our hostel in Stockholm for Christmas, which my mother probably still thinks is utterly depressing, but I'm really looking forward to it.  Christmas comes but once a year, after all; family is forever.  My best bud Lane flies in the day after Christmas to trek through Denmark, Germany, and the Netherlands with me.  This trip is going to rock my world.  ADVENTURE!  CULTURE!  BANKRUPTCY!  

So, there's another tasty morsel of information for all of my blog-reading mignons.  Eat your heart out.


Happy 100th Birthday, Olivier Messiaen.  R.I.P. Bettie Page.  

You have both made life greater for me.







1 Comments:

Blogger Ms. M said...

i really do need to read your blog more often...i laugh out loud every time hahaha

16/12/08 11:30  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home